Meet Picture Book Report.

February 1, 2010 at 10:00 am 11 comments

Hello and welcome to Picture Book Report! I do hope you are well. We are pretty excellent. Now, we have a lot to get through this week, so please do get comfortable, adjust your focus, and enjoy the wonders we have in store for you this week and beyond.

We are launching Picture Book Report as an experiment of sorts– fifteen illustrators creating a new scene from their favorite books every month, posted one per day for three weeks! Think about that– that’s half a month of brand-new content, every month!  That’s crazy, and beautiful, and honestly the idea swells me with love and gratitude for all the people involved.

This week is a bit of a primer, to whet your whistles and get you acquainted. Every day this week I will share three illustrators from the group and try and let them speak a bit about their books of choice and why they picked them. Each post (fingers crossed) will be accompanied by a ‘bookplate’ that will showcase a taste of their talent and style, and let you know when their first illustration goes up. (You can also look at the schedule page if that helps!) Next month I will add to the content with character sketches, inspiration ideas for my project, and if other folks have time they will try that too. It’s going to be exciting. Are you ready?

Entry filed under: Introductions. Tags: .

Meg Hunt v. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

• 1. Thomas James  |  February 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

Congratulations! This is a great idea, and I know it will be very popular with like-minded artists. Good luck!

Thomas James

• 2. Victoria Maderna  |  February 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Wonderful idea & great lineup! Can’t wait to see what you all produce!! :)

• 3. Aeron  |  February 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Looking forward to seeing all the great new work! Did you decide on a certain number of illustrations for each book or did each artists decide on however many different illustrations they wanted to do?

• 4. meg  |  February 1, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Aeron, we were originally going with 12 (a full year’s worth) but the project got delayed a month. I think we’ll go til people feel they can’t stand it! But I hope it’s as addictive for everyone as it is for me.

• 5. Blake Himsl Hunter  |  February 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm

awesome idea, can’t wait to see it progress!

• 6. Amy@Pikaland  |  February 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

This is such a wonderful idea! I can’t wait to see what each artist will bring to their favourite books. I for one will be popping by often to check in on everyone’s progress!

• 7. jerome  |  February 2, 2010 at 2:48 am

Totally awesome… This is my new favorite blog !

• 8. Dave Stolte  |  February 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Great concept, very ambitious! I’ll be following this for sure.

• 9. Jan  |  February 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm

This is so amazing! I am in love with this project. I hope somebody ended up doing the Phantom Tollbooth, it’s still one of my most favourite books ever.

• 10. Nancy Muller  |  February 10, 2010 at 6:50 pm

This is fantastic. This blog is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The line up of artists is fantastic, I’m excited about all the books that they’ve chosen, and I’m looking forward to seeing more!

• 11. Picture Book Report | Grey not Grey blog  |  June 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

[...] beautiful, and honestly the idea swells me with love and gratitude for all the people involved. – Meg Hunt, from the first entry on Picture Book [...]