Kali Ciesemier v. Sabriel

February 5, 2010 at 10:13 am 7 comments

illustrated by Kali Ciesemier

• Who are you and what do you do?

I’m Kali Ciesemier, and I am pleased to be part of the Baltimorean group making an appearance in this project! I graduated from The Maryland Institute College of Art in ’08, and now I’m lucky enough to be working as a freelance illustrator and teaching part time at MICA. Vintage posters and art deco design are enormously inspiring to me, and as a result I tend to work a lot with flat color and line. I’ve always been a big sci-fi/fantasy reader and I’m excited to indulge some of my nerdier tendencies for this project!

• Why did you pick the story you chose?

Sabriel is a young adult fantasy story, which is an entire genre I never get a chance to work with in my editorial assignments. There isn’t a whole lot of art that has been created for the book series, besides the lovely covers by Leo and Diane Dillon, so I’m looking forward to working without much preconceived imagery. It’s got a strong heroine, secret places, undead creatures, mysterious/scary happenings, and half the world is in a vaguely 1930-ish era while the other half is medieval-ish but with MAGIC. I first read “Sabriel” when I was younger, but I keep returning to it because the world is so unique, interesting, and rich.

So doesn’t this look like it’s a book already on the shelves? Kali is thoroughly inspiring and she’s a real gem to be participating! Her first illustration for Sabriel will be up on February 26, but if you can’t wait til then you can always check out her stunning portfolio and her blog as well.

Whew! What a week, right? Just you wait to see what we’ve got cooked up for you next week. Have a lovely weekend and stay tuned on Monday for a couple of posts from me and my first Alice illustration!

Entry filed under: Introductions, Sabriel. Tags: .

Phil McAndrew v. From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler Alice part one: down, down, down through the earth.

• 1. dawlism  |  February 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

wow. i love this.

• 2. Amanda  |  February 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I saw this up on Kali’s blog and immediately got super excited. I love this book, love the original artwork, and love the bookplate – can’t wait to see the rest!

• 3. laura  |  February 10, 2010 at 9:20 am

so fantastic to see sabriel picked as one of the books. it’s one of those series i’ve fallen in love with, and so much amazing imagery to chose from. can’t wait to see what you do!

• 4. kissabug  |  February 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Kali, your work lights a fire inside me, truly. I have seen this book lying in my sister’s room for ages, and have always wanted to read it, but never got around to it. I am thinking now that it must be done.

• 5. JoeyC  |  February 13, 2010 at 10:22 am

I don’t know if i’ve ever wanted to read a book I know nothing about so badly. Can’t wait to see more.

• 6. Midweek Miscellany | The Casual Optimist  |  February 18, 2010 at 6:47 am

[...] create illustrations inspired by their favourite books. Pictured below: Kali Ciesemier’s take on Sabriel by Garth Nix. I’m also looking forward to Robot Johnny’s take on The [...]

• 7. Reed Bond  |  February 18, 2010 at 7:07 am

So, as soon as I saw this cover I got the book. That is the mark of a good cover, it causes you to buy the book. Imagine if they published this cover!

BTW Sabriel is actually a really good fantasy novel, I’m glad I’m reading it.