Phil McAndrew v. From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

February 5, 2010 at 10:05 am 11 comments

illustrated by Phil McAndrew

• Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Phil McAndrew and I’m an illustrator and cartoonist from Syracuse, NY. I’ve created illustrations for magazines, newspapers, animated television spots, theatre scenery, t-shirts, posters, album covers, gallery exhibits, websites and fun. My mini comics have been praised by the American Mustache Institute and on USA Today’s Pop Candy blog. I’ve also contributed comics to a number of anthology books and websites, including Top Shelf 2.0 and all three volumes of the You Ain’t No Dancer books from New Reliable Press. I’m a founding member of Found Hat Press, a collective of talented young illustrators and cartoonists. I love pizza.

• Why did you pick the book you chose?

I read the book once when I was ten years old and loved it, somehow totally forgot about it, and then rediscovered it in college. It’s for children really, but I’ve probably read it a five or six times now as an adult. It’s about two kids, a brother and sister, running away from home and hiding out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The story is fun, the humor is subtle and sharp at the same time. The characters are as fascinating and complex as the museum they run away to. I’d absolutely include it on my list of favorite books. I think it’ll be a fun challenge, creating illustrations for this story.

The energy in Phil’s illustrations and comics floors me– I love his attention to imperfect characters and his crazy linework! It’ll be quite fun to see the first of these illustrations on February 25, don’t you agree? But why not check out his blog and portfolio?

The last amazing contibutor is up next! Oh, what will the story be? Wait and see in five minutes!

Entry filed under: From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Introductions. Tags: .

Laura Park v. Geek Love Kali Ciesemier v. Sabriel

• 1. dawlism  |  February 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I love this. Phil is splendid.

• 2. Sarah McIntyre  |  February 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Hurrah! I love seeing Phil’s work on LiveJournal and this was one of my all-time fave books growing up.

• 3. Julianna Swaney  |  February 12, 2010 at 12:32 pm

One of my favorite books! really looking forward to seeing the illustrations.

• 4. Rick  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

In sixth grade I read this book and had to do a book report in front of the class. I used puppets for the brother and sister, and put a wig on my own head to play the role of Mrs. Frankweiler. It made the teacher laugh and I got a perfect grade on the report. I’m excited to see your illustrations of one of my favorite childhood books!

• 5. Adrian Duran  |  February 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Turned onto your work by my colleague Joel Priddy. This is one of my favorite books of all time, and the one that turned me into an art historian. Your illustrations are so fantastically great, you’ve totally reinvigorated my love for a book I didn’t think I could love more. Wonderful, wonderful work.

• 6. Nicole  |  April 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

That is so incredible that this book changed your life so dramatically and gave you the inspiration to become an art historian.
      It gave me inspiration too—inspiration to run away haha! I made sure I packed plenty of clean underclothes though…in fact, I’m pretty sure that’s all I packed. I didn’t get far. Which was absolutely okay :)

• 7. Nicole  |  April 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I run a tumblr where I review books, music, movies, and all other kinds of art. I just reviewed this book after reading it again for the first time in over ten years. I found your illustrations through random google image searching and I have to say, I was surprisingly and tremendously moved by them, to the point of tears. This is a book I hold incredibly close to my heart, and my love for it is so great I can only put half of how I feel about it into words.

These illustrations are wonderful. I saw the one with Jamie in the bathroom first and gasped, and was so delighted to see all the others as well. I especially love the bed and the letter. Wonderful, wonderful job. Thank you so much for sharing these.

• 8. Phil McAndrew  |  April 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

You guys are too kind! Thanks so much! I’m glad you enjoyed the illustrations. They were a lot of fun to create!

• 9. Brittany  |  May 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This is one of my book report and i have to make a diorama and may be i can take a pic of it and send it on to here…. <3 Sincerely,
    Brit

• 10. Brittany  |  May 18, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Luv it <33….

• 11. football  |  September 1, 2014 at 8:26 am

That brings us to quite possibly the most intriguing match-up to that point
    of the season when Oregon comes to Rice-Eccles.
    ‘The teams, the broadcast contract and our showcase
    games this year are going to generate tremendous excitement about this League and the great seasons to
    come. During matches rush for football tickets goes beyond any margin, and
    it becomes tough for the organisers to handle that.