The Hobbit, part one

February 10, 2010 at 10:00 am 16 comments

Posted by: Sam Bosma
Book: The Hobbit

The Dwarves of yore made mighty spells / while hammers fell like ringing bells / in places deep, where dark things sleep / in hollow halls beneath the fells.

Pencil, ink, digital. 13×20″ (click  the image to view it larger)

Here we are, right at the beginning of the story, where Gandalf and the dwarves peer pressure Bilbo into joining their crusade against Smaug the dragon. This particular scene is towards the end of their meeting, when Bilbo gets a little carried away and embarrasses himself.

The Hobbit is wham-bang scene after wham-bang scene, but I thought it was important to start here, where the seeds of the whole adventure are sown. It only gets crazier from here on out.

Please check out my blog: (http://sambosma.blogspot.com) where I have been and will continue to post exploratory sketches for this project. I’ve written pretty extensively on how I’m treating the project throughout the sketching phase, so there’s a lot more information there if you’re interested.

Entry filed under: The Hobbit. Tags: .

Peter Pan Scene 1 Mrs. Frisby and Jeremy

• 1. Jan  |  February 10, 2010 at 10:10 am

Love the colours, beautiful work!

• 2. Raul Villanueva  |  February 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

By my beard! Awesome! I really like the take on Gandalf and the feeling of pressure over Bilbo. Good work!

• 3. jeremy  |  February 10, 2010 at 10:39 am

this is awesome. i would pay for a Bosma illustrated version of the book. one of my favorite things about this entire project is seeing fresh looks at what has become pretty standardized styles associated with each book.

can’t wait to see this to the end.

• 4. Rodrigo Aviles  |  February 10, 2010 at 10:48 am

excellent illo, the hobbit is one of my fav books.

• 5. Jordie  |  February 10, 2010 at 11:20 am

You nailed it!

• 6. Sayaka  |  February 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

Not to sound picky, but just tohguht I'd mention… I'm pretty sure that's Frodo on the last cake, not Bilbo.

• 7. oqqhuqicirm  |  February 9, 2012 at 6:26 am

uh1CMW edooyrkrkasw

• 8. Joshua Rapp  |  February 10, 2010 at 11:59 am

Really good stuff. I like the fact that you didn’t make Gandalf’s beard white. Nice to see your visualization on the subject.

• 9. eva  |  February 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm

lovely, lovely work! i’m so excited to see this unfold.

• 10. jeremysorese  |  February 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Holy cow! This is absolutely gorgeous! I love all of the textures in it!

• 11. John Sandford  |  February 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Seriously beautiful work. Can’t wait to see more.
    js

• 12. Irene  |  February 11, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Wow, that’s just perfect. Super excited to see how this evolves.

There’s something about The Hobbit that has inspired so much great work in so many different styles.

• 13. Julia Kostreva  |  February 11, 2010 at 4:51 pm

hey sam, my friend Niv tipped me to this project. ive seen your work since MICA, and I have to say, this is absolutely my favorite piece of yours! man… wow, you are a magician! If you were the art director of an animated movie, I’d be blown away!!

• 14. Shannon  |  February 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This is a really wonderful complement to a favorite book of mine. I like the woodcut feel of it. Nice!

• [...] quote inspired by a book illustration project going on at Picture Book Report, this time for The Hobbit. I love how the illustration seems like an old-fashioned woodcut, which really fits the tone of the [...]

• [...] is The Hobbit as illustrated by Sam Bosma for the Picture Book Report. Bosma describes the scene from the beginning of the book: Here we are, right at the beginning of [...]