It begins with a house.

February 12, 2010 at 9:01 am 26 comments

Posted by: John Martz
Book: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

…the Thursday morning sun was bright and clear as it shone on Arthur Dent’s house for what was to be the last time.

Once I had decided to interpret The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, I knew that this scene would be my first illustration. Whenever I even think about the story, it’s these first small chapters that enter my thoughts. It’s the opening scene in the text adventure game version, as well, which I never had the patience to conquer, and always found myself, in the role of Arthur Dent, dead before ever leaving the house.

I’ve always loved the parallels between the large, yellow bulldozers intent to demolish Arthur’s house and the large, yellow Vogon ships, which would do the same to the entire planet. The layout for this illustration drew itself.

I can remember being twelve years old, and reading this paragraph for the first time:

The great ships hung motionless in the sky, over every nation on Earth. Motionless they hung, huge, heavy, steady in the sky, a blasphemy against nature. Many people went straight into shock as their minds tried to encompass what they were looking at. The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

I must have re-read that last sentence at least ten times. What an odd, but wonderful analogy, I thought. It was one of those moments that seems exclusive to childhood — that feeling of having discovered something special that could become my very own. I  felt a connection between myself and the words, and something in that sentence ignited in me an appreciation for looking at things with a slightly skewed perspective. I was soon to learn that Douglas Adams was a master at this in the way he blurred the lines between nonsense and clarity.

Click the image for a larger view.

Entry filed under: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Tags: .

Mrs. Frisby and Jeremy Kala and Tarzan

• 1. Mike K.  |  February 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

Awesome start to a project I’m super excited to watch. The book seems like it had the same impact on you as a kid that it did on me. I always loved the exchange Ford has with the bartender at the pub a few pages later. “Keep the change.” “What, from a fiver?”

And now the obvious question, will any of these be offered as prints? I suspect I’ll be asking that about most of the books being illustrated here.

• 2. Travis B  |  February 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

I also read the original H2G2 when I was young (about middle school age) and it was simply magical for me. I know exactly what you mean about the first few chapters have a special extra magic. It was like they were a cut above the others, even the ones with digital watches.

“No, no,” said Ford, “it’s just that the world’s about to end.”

“Oh yes sir, so you said,” said the barman… “Lucky escape for Arsenal if it did.”

“No, not really,” [said Ford].

At this rate we’ll have the entire book in the comments before lunch!

• 3. dave  |  February 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Put me on the list of people who will pay for a print of this. It’s beautiful, and I always imagined this scene the same way, with the Vogon ships looking like bulldozers from space. I also hung on the bricks line, let it soak in, like I did for so many other lines in the book.

It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    ‘What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?’
    ‘You ask a glass of water.’

• 4. Dave Stolte  |  February 12, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Perfect!

• 5. Michelle Kondrich  |  February 13, 2010 at 8:20 am

This is absolutely gorgeous – the colors, the lines, the composition – all of it!

• 6. Niv  |  February 13, 2010 at 10:45 am

This is really great – it’s such a nice stylistic approach to this story, that is definitely fresh but still feels very much appropriate to the source material.

I really loved this book when I was young too and it’s nice to see an illustrator delivering some major justice to it.

• 7. patrick  |  February 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Please make the prints the same size as the book. So we can glue them in and have our “Super Special John Martz Edition of the Hitchhiker`s Guide”!
    That would be fantastic! And a perfect reason to read it again! (and again)

• 8. Lee Sargent  |  February 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm

OMG that is wonderful, you’ve completely captured the feel of that opening chapter!

I also really like the concept overall of what you are doing.

Very neat, you are a frood who really knows where his towel is.

• 9. Nancy Muller  |  February 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Oh, I love this. You’re off to such an excellent start, you’ve definitely gotten the absurdity of the situation down!

• 10. Alan Gratz  |  February 15, 2010 at 8:16 am

Prints! Prints! We want to buy prints!

• 11. robotjohnny  |  February 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone! I will arrange to have prints available soon.

• 12. Sandy  |  March 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

When are the prints coming!?! I need them! These illustrations are great!

• 13. Shannon  |  February 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I love the colors and the style of this. It perfectly matches the book and yet is unexpected. I’m going to enjoy watching this project.

• [...] Picture Book Report, in which artists illustrate their favorite books. I was really charmed by the first illustration for Hitchhiker’s, which is at the same time perfect for the book and completely [...]

• 15. Junior Society » Blog Archive » Story Time  |  February 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

[...] Below: from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, illustration by John Martz [...]

• 16. Wendy  |  February 25, 2010 at 10:23 am

That line about the bricks gets me every time I read it. I remember the first time I did, and where I was sitting as I pondered its genius.

Love your work!

• 17. jenn  |  February 25, 2010 at 11:31 am

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.
    :::

that’s always been one of my favorite lines too!

• 18. Ally  |  February 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Love it, my fave book ever! Cant wait to see more!!
    - 42

• 19. John Martz: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy | Diskursdisko  |  February 26, 2010 at 6:57 am

[...] Picture Book Report) Vincent Wilkie hat diesen tollen Beitrag verfasst. In seiner Freizeit ist er Musiker, Webdesigner [...]

• 20. Giavasan » It begins with a house  |  February 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

[...] Link: It begins with a house. [...]

• 21. Things Thursday: I Want A… - OGG Blog  |  March 11, 2010 at 2:33 am

[...] This Robot Geek Love bag by CraftieRobot on Etsy  8. A print of every illustration John Martz makes available in his illustrated Hitchhikers Guide series.  In the words of Paul [...]

• 22. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Dalek « Errantry  |  August 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

[...] Book Report did some beautiful Hitchhiker’s Guide illustrations. My favourite is here: It begins with a house.   LikeBe the first to like this [...]

• [...] via picturebookreport.com [...]

• 24. Dorthea  |  June 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hello every one, here every person is sharing these familiarity, so it’s pleasant to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this webpage all the time.

• 25. Lon  |  July 23, 2013 at 2:11 am

Perhaps you agree or maybe a not, the sizes of a
    individual’s penis goes your long way into determining how compelling his sex circumstances is. One specific lot of guy out there want to undergo organ enlargement but may very well be unable to definitely so out associated ignorance and sometimes, confusion. Well, to tell the type of truth, it’s the new big
    maze out and there when this comes to knob enlargement techniques as well as it’s often perplexing to choose a effective one. However, you can also count on penius extenders when they comes to maturing your penis so you need to help you understand the effects between how long you wear the parties and the grade of penis development attained.

Appendage extenders get most of the job done all by gently applying footing to extend your own personal penis more over time. Those stretching is very subtle and is now tricky to also recognize, and everyone can wear one at any time, provided that anybody aren’t partaking as part of strenuous activity.

Contrast this using a penis pump, which naturally can never be made assist of
    while you can function at you’re desk in this office.

This specific device is recognized to have done work and is effective than other methods. Despite the fact that everything ought to you should be worn in seven to 8 several every day, this really is a lot harmful and a smaller amount expensive than going a penis medical procedure. Unlike sends and weights to suit the penis, the best vitamins and supplements doesn’t
    cause cellular material harm on our own penile region.

With the help of the device must hurt ? Erroneous.
    It would be a known uncomplicated fact that the pennis extender device functions by creating low tears on our tissue
    of generally penis in get for it to assist you to increase in length of time and girth.
    While this may perhaps perhaps sound alarming, any truth of each of our matter
    is just that the tears which experts claim are formed inside the the microscopic level, so they
    not able to be seen through the human face or felt when any man, nope
    matter how hypersensitive he may continually be.

Merely before investing your ultimate time and your money into any scheme it can be a little more extremely necessary into make sure which
    usually these plan should be able to truly produce.
    Other than, you might probably not have to to danger most of the well-being of companies penis just on account that of one stool enlargement method.
    So understanding near the event their strategy will purpose is an absolute should.
    Expertise how the manner may help you might increase the value of your particular penis is by the same token essential.
    The truck bed cover’s constantly far increased to understand all the science as skillfully as the practicing work principle motor vehicle any grow a new dick method for it of placing ones own money into the program.

All the way through conclusion, you have to know that it’s possible to apparel a
    penis extender during the daytime hours and choosing our
    own specific hours pertaining to the day is truly up
    to you have and your monthly routine.

Employ the X4 labradors extender to avoid wasting your
    money in effective methods of penis development. Other’s probably will think it is ordinarily less effective as of it price. This device will prove which is it is those most effective penus enlargement device truly created.

• 26. pawn shop las vegas hours  |  August 27, 2014 at 7:53 am

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of
    your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will