Just when I had given up all hope…something wonderful happened.

February 22, 2010 at 6:28 am 18 comments

Posted by: Israel Sanchez
Book: Where the Red Fern Grows

“I sat down on an old sycamore log, and started thumbing through the leaves.  On the back pages of the magazine I came to the “For Sale” section-“Dogs for Sale”-every kind of dog.  I read on and on.  They had dogs I had never heard of, names I couldn’t make out.  Far down in the right-hand corner, I found an ad that took my breath away.  In small letters, it read:  ‘Registered redbone coon hound pups- twenty five dollars each.’ “

In this early part of the story Billy finds a sportsman’s magazine left behind at a fishing campsite.  After reading the ad he puts together a plan to get the hunting dogs he wants so badly.   He starts making money catching bait for fisherman and selling opossum, rabbit, and skunk  hides at his grandfather’s store.  It takes him two years to save up the fifty dollars.

Entry filed under: Where the Red Fern Grows. Tags: .

Welcome to the Ward [Alice in Wonderland] Related tangents, prints…

• 1. alison  |  February 22, 2010 at 8:19 am

This is really beautiful. I love the window into Billy’s secret dream… Fantastic.

• 2. jeremysorese  |  February 22, 2010 at 8:34 am

This composition is wonderful! And I love that big swatch of purple and his overlapped feet!

• 3. meg  |  February 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Israel, wow. This is ridiculously beautiful, and you’ve crafted such a cinematic scene. So happy to see you tackle these illustrations!

• 4. Chuck  |  February 22, 2010 at 9:50 am

Oh wow, this is exceedingly pretty! I love the reflection in the water and those muted colours, such a great mood.

• 5. andrea  |  February 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm

so beautiful! love the dogs/branches reflection!

• 6. S.britt  |  February 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone’s comments. This is stunningly spectacular! I can’t wait for the rest of the book… but I will!

• 7. israels  |  February 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone! It was a big challenge to paint but I had a good time and am happy with the results.

Everyone’s work has been so great so far, each morning I get up excited to see the new illustration for the day. It’s an honor to be a part of this project.

• 8. jen  |  February 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Israel, this is incredible!!! Love the reflection.

• 9. israels  |  February 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Thanks friend!

• 10. Dee  |  February 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm

A Lovely Illustration Israel, from one of my fave books.
    Great composition and color. More? =)

• 11. Eimhin  |  February 25, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This is really gorgeous, especially like how you handled the branches reflections, real subtle stuff!

• 12. israels  |  March 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Thank you Eimhin! I checked out your site, such great work on there, I love the paper cut out art.

• 13. laura Park  |  March 1, 2010 at 10:08 am

I keep coming back to look at this again and again! So lovely!

• 14. israels  |  March 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Thank you Laura!

• 15. Gina  |  April 9, 2010 at 11:22 am

This is stunning and moving. So often illustrations are just pretty pictures, but this has heart and soul too.

• 16. israel  |  April 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Thank you Gina!!

• 17. Sadie  |  May 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’v read where the red fern grows before but it’s never has had any Illistration before it looks so Beautiful!

sadie age 7