CHP. 1 Mrs. Whatsit

February 23, 2010 at 11:35 am 5 comments

Posted by: Jeremy Sorese
Book: A Wrinkle in Time

Mrs. Whatsit Chapter 1

For those that haven’t read A Wrinkle In Time, the story centers around the Murry family, specifically Meg Murry and her youngest sibling Charles Wallace. Meg is a awkward pubescent high school girl with a  fiery temper, terrible grades and braces to boot. Charles is the baby of the family, an extremely bright boy but outside the company of his family, is silent. Most people assume he’s a little slow causing Meg to defend her brother in  countless fist fights. The Murry household is rounded out by Sandy and Dennys, the middle siblings, their dog Fortinbras and their mother, a brilliant scientist. Their father is also a scientist but has been missing for months, supposedly on a business trip doing who knows what somewhere in the universe.

The novel opens on a dark and stormy night and Meg cannot sleep while a terrible hurricane whips the sides of her attic bedroom. This compounded with a terrible week at school and a scuffle with a dumb boy that afternoon, Meg is convinced the world is out to get her. Going down to the kitchen for a midnight snack, she finds Charles who predicted her plan and has already started to simmer milk on the stove for her. Charles has a way about him, he always seems to know exactly whats bothering Meg, whatever it may be. The two kids are soon joined by their mother who is also restless and hungry. In the middle of the sandwiches and hot chocolate, Fortinbras starts to bark. When Mrs. Murry goes to investigate what could possibly be out and about on a night like tonight, she brings back a person bundled tightly in layers of clothing. Meg is convinced its the tramp she heard about at the post office, come to her house to murder her whole family. Actually its Mrs. Whatstit, a small elderly woman whom Charles had met in the woods a few days before. Her boots are filled with water and Mrs. Murry helps to remove them to dry them out, (as seen above). As Mrs. Whatsit leaves, she turns to Mrs. Murry and says, with no prompting, that tesseracts do exist. Mrs. Murry is shaken, the color draining from her face as the squat woman heads back out into the storm.

The door slammed.

” Mother, what’s the matter!” Meg cried. “What did she say?” What is it?”

“The tesseract -” Mrs. Murry whispered. “What did she mean? How could she have known?”

Stayed tuned for next months installment! Thanks again for watching!

P.S. I did a test image way back in December that I posted over in my blog back when this little gig got started. For those that haven’t seen it, I’ll post it again here. And for those following along in your own copies of A Wrinkle In Time, this picture is from page 37.

Entry filed under: A Wrinkle in Time. Tags: , , , , , , .

[Alice in Wonderland] Related tangents, prints… Tell us how you thought of us…

• 1. JFish  |  February 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Jeremy, you’re literally pulling the exact envisioning of the characters and events from Wrinkle right out of my head! I just read the book for the first time about a month ago, to then see that you’d be visually adapting the book into illustrations. You’re the best artist for this book, I believe.

I look forward to your portrayal of the Happy Medium and Aunt Beast!

• 2. israels  |  February 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I love it! The line work is so lively, not to mention the color, composition, character design, etc.

• 3. meg  |  February 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

I forgot to put in my two cents, but this is just such a good scene and your patience to letter all that cannot be beat. I tip my hat to you sir!

• 4. Joshpm  |  February 25, 2010 at 7:00 am

Jeremy, these pages are so. rad. This was one of my favourite books growing up and it’s awesome to see such a great illustrator putting rad pictures to the pages!

• 5. Enriqueta  |  March 1, 2014 at 1:38 am

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
    connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only
    having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?