Tell us how you thought of us…

February 24, 2010 at 5:00 am 8 comments

Posted by: Laura Park
Book: Geek Love

click image for larger

A chance encounter with a garden of  experimental dual colored roses served as the inspiration for Aloysius Binewski’s ‘dreamlets’.

“The roses started him thinking, how the oddity of them was beautiful and how the oddity was contrived to give them value. “It just struck me – clear and complete all at once – no long figuring about it” He realized that children could be designed. “And I thought to myself, now THAT would be a rose garden worthy of a man’s interest!”

Geek Love is the story of the Binewski family, both of their past glory and of what remains of them in the present.  Former geek Crystal Lil and ringmaster Aloysius run Binewski’s Fabulon, a traveling carnival.  Their children, who serve as the Fabulon’s main attractions, were designed as human wonders through a variety of experiments involving drugs, chemicals, and radiation treatments. There is Arturo the Aqua Boy, the firstborn with fin-like hands and feet. Next are the violet-eyed and musically talented Siamese twins Electra and Iphigenia. Our narrator Olympia is a hunchbacked albino dwarf, deemed too ordinary looking to be much of an earner.  Lastly, there is Fortunato (called Chick) completely normal in appearance but gifted with secret talents.  The Binewskis are a tight-knit family and each ‘dreamlet’ is fiercely proud of their abnormalities.

It was a hard time choosing how to start this project.  There’s a wealth of inviting images to pick from. The main tragedy of Geek Love is the loss of family, and I thought it best to start off with an image of better times.  So here they are, before things got complicated. Papa Al, the dreamer surrounded by his dreamlets.

posted by Laura Park

Entry filed under: Geek Love. Tags: , .

CHP. 1 Mrs. Whatsit She planned very carefully.

• 1. M. Dominic  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:50 am

What a stunning beauty this is! And I knew exactly what it was before I scrolled down to read. I’ll admit, my heart jumped a bit with excitement when I saw the twins. Lovely work!

• 2. Anna M.  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

this is one of my favorite books!! Excellent illustration.

• 3. Joy  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:29 am

Geek Love is my favorite book ever. My heart leapt when I saw this illustration! It’s wonderful and you captured something really special.

• 4. meg  |  February 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

Ah, I knew it’d be awesome even before I placed my eyes upon it! I love how you’ve made Crystal Lil look– I’ll be curious to see your other takes on her. And I love that despite being identical I know right away which one’s Iphy and which one’s Elly.

A round of applause my dear! I was sick as a dog this morning but waking up to this made it all better :)

• 5. John Martz  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm

So great! I had nearly forgotten the entire plot of this book when I read this was the one you were doing, but this illustration just brought it all back. So so great.

• 6. Michelle Kondrich  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm

This is beautiful. You captured the darkness of the whole book while maintaining the romanticism of the good times they had.

• 7. Gerhardt S.  |  March 2, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I am amazed by the skill with which you portrayed the characters. I’m 17 and just recently began reading this book. I’m half-way through it right now with plans to finish shortly. I loved the book and in the process of searching for any pictures to help me view the characters, I hit upon this.
    I was shocked how similar our mental pictures of each of these character’s were. I look forward to following all of your illustrations in the coming weeks.

• 8. S.britt  |  March 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I haven’t read the book, but I’ve seen your artwork, so can I comment about that? Please let me know if that’s alright.