Peter And Wendy: The Flight

March 9, 2010 at 7:13 am 8 comments

Posted by: Will Bryant
Book: Peter Pan and Wendy

"Second to the right , and straight on till morning."

As I’m reading through J.M. Barrie’s story of Peter Pan I’m quickly liking Peter less and less. I must admit, it’s a shame that I’m more familiar with Disney’s adaptations of this adventure seeking boy. However, I understand why changes were made…Peter might as well be throwing rocks and giving these kids wedgies as they’re blindly “following the leader” to make believe land.

With that said, my interpretation of Peter is light hearted and currently leading the children on an adventure like a boy scout on the trail to summer camp. He’s got some charm in his knobby knees while soaring under Marc Bolan’s bebop moon. Try not to fall asleep while flying, catch ya in Neverland doods!

Check back tomorrow for the amazing Sam Bosma and his wonderful vision of The Hobbit!

Entry filed under: Peter Pan & Wendy. Tags: , , , , , .

Alice part two: the return of the White Rabbit. The Hobbit, part two

• 1. sbosma  |  March 9, 2010 at 10:30 am

Will, I am slowly getting more and more onboard with your Peter Pan. It’s just so crazily different than anything else out there. I love how you’re minimizing the characters down to their base ingredients and giving us nothing more than what we absolutely need to understand who they are. Tinkerbell as literal bell with wings is brilliant.

• 2. Will  |  March 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

Sam, I appreciate your comment so very much. I’m pleased to hear that you’re warming up to it! I’m not sure where it’s going myself, and have had a really hard time trusting myself. I’m on a blog full of all stars! So far its been challenging, exciting and I’ve done my best to make it ridiculous.

• 3. kaliciesemier  |  March 9, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I concur! It’s a completely different take and I wasn’t entirely sure what you were doing with it at first, but seeing all the characters together in this piece (and with the sleepy moon) is so charming. I look forward to more ridiculousness.

• 4. JoeyC  |  March 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm

The rest of the world thinks it’s pretty awesome too. I hope to see Rufio too, even if he’s not exactly a Barrie creation.

• 5. Will  |  March 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Thanks Kali & Joey!

I’ve been debating in my head whether or not to include the totally 90s character of Rufio. I’m sure its blasphemous to include him, but Joey I think you just gave me permission!

• 6. Zoe @ Playing by the book  |  March 10, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I love this illustration! To me it’s all about suggestions – suggestions of London, suggestions of the kids – leaving plenty of room for even more imagination.

• 7. kissabug  |  March 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Oh, I love that bird’s eye view. You know, it took me a bit to warm up to this idea but now I am all for it. I like that the moon gets a face and the bear gets a body, and I agree, Tink as a literal bell is wonderful. And sure it might be a little blasphemous to include Rufio, but by all means, please do! Well, I am on board, this is such fun.

• 8. Will Bryant  |  March 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm

thanks so much for the support!