I will play the lute, and you shall beat the kettle drum.

March 17, 2010 at 3:54 am 11 comments

Posted by: S.britt
Book: The Bremen Town Musicians (purchase on Amazon)

(click image to see larger)

When he had walked some distance, he found a hound lying on the road, gasping like one who had run ’til he was tired. “What are you gasping so for, you big fellow?” asked the donkey.

“Ah,” replied the hound, “as I am old, and daily grow weaker and no longer can hunt, my master wanted to kill me. So I took to flight, but now how am I to earn my bread?”

“I tell you what,” said the donkey, “I am going to Bremen, and shall be town musician there. Go with me and engage yourself also as a musician. I will play the lute, and you shall beat the kettle drum.”

Here before you, we see the very first meeting between Donkey and Hound. Such a historic encounter of two mangy musical masterminds can only be compared to such monumental meetings as John and Paul, Mick and Keith, Nasty and Dirk. In the pages to follow, Donkey and Hound recruit the two more shoddy and shabby sidekicks to fill out their crummy quartet; namely Cat and Cock. Do stick around in the coming months to see what sort of melodious mayhem these bucolic balladeers get themselves into… and out of!

Entry filed under: The Bremen Town Musicians. Tags: .

No More Z’s! Acutes vs. Ratched

• 1. laura Park  |  March 17, 2010 at 10:45 am

Oh but I love it how it is NOW! I wish I could live there instead being stuck in this cave!

• 2. Tim Canny  |  March 18, 2010 at 7:31 am

I think the Stasi agent disguised as a sheep/groupie is a nice touch.

• 3. Rodrigo Aviles  |  March 18, 2010 at 7:46 am

whoa, impressive work

• 4. laura Park  |  March 18, 2010 at 9:12 am

Always making me eat my words! Okay I never loved the other version, I was just confused! We were both in a messed up place looking for some soothing greyscale salvation in this crazy world! But now I love this! This lovely amazing color drenched beauty!

• 5. John Martz  |  March 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Stephan, what an ass!

• 6. S.britt  |  March 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Does this lute make my burro look big?

• 7. sbosma  |  March 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

How…do you do…this? I keep looking, trying to divine how it’s done. Are you painting this? Is it digital? It’s driving me nuts.

• 8. S.britt  |  March 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Sam, I get asked this question all the time. However, if I were to give away the answer to all my trade secrets, how could I continue to drive you nuts? The simple answer is that everything is initially hand drawn/inked and hand painted, but how it all comes together is an ancient Britt family secret. I CAN tell you that I use lots of stuff (watercolors, colored water, tempera, permanente, pastels, peeps, crayons, industrial solvents, acrylics, india ink, bolivia ink, crushed berries, spit, earwax, wax fruit, preserved fruit, dented cans, spoiled milk, spoiled brats, white lightning, black magic, magic markers, etc.), but it’s all that cheap and greasy kid’s stuff. Fancy art supplies scare the inspiration clean outta me!

• 9. israel  |  March 18, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love it!!

• 10. jerome  |  March 19, 2010 at 12:26 am

The backgrounds are incredible ! Do you have a special book for documentation or just google ?

• 11. Nancy Muller  |  March 19, 2010 at 2:08 am

Jesus this is beautiful. Wow. That’s all I have to say really.