This is my secret pleasure, to watch unseen.

March 24, 2010 at 1:22 am 5 comments

Posted by: Laura Park
Book: Geek Love (purchase on Amazon)

The story flashes to the present day Portland.  Lily has lost most of her eyesight (and mind) and acts as the manager of a rambling Victorian rooming house.  Oly (now known as Hopalong McGurk) works narrating dramatic stories on the radio and resides in Room #21.  The room allows her to keep an eye on Lily and also on the resident of Room #35.  Miranda Barker (Room #35) was raised in a convent believing she was an orphan, she has no clue that the albino dwarf in #21 is her mother.  And Oly plans on keeping it that way.

“Lily chose to forget me and I choose not to remind her, but I am terrified of seeing shame or disgust in my daughter’s face.  It would kill me.  So I stalk and tend them both secretly, like a midnight gardener.”

That paragraph was quite a tangle!  I hope readers of Geek Love enjoy the illustration and I sure hope it perhaps encourages some new folks to pick it up.  More next month!

Entry filed under: Geek Love. Tags: , .

A WRINKLE IN TIME Chp. 2 Mrs. Who The Coast Was Clear

• 1. Meg Hunt  |  March 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

The perspective in here is so good and strange! Gosh I love this take on Geek Love.

• 2. Cary  |  March 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

My inner balding-hunchbacked-albino-dwarf-child applauds your illustration…

• 3. S.britt  |  March 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm

This drawing makes me think of a lot of things.

• 4. pancakemahoney  |  March 26, 2010 at 4:03 pm

good things?

• 5. Nadya  |  January 15, 2013 at 3:21 am

I just finished the book. I love this picture!