News! Lucy Knisley vs. The Giver.

March 25, 2010 at 9:46 am 19 comments

Hello! Just your friendly host Meg here, I wanted to announce a little change in the lineup– due to unexpected busy schedules, we are for now waving goodbye to Daniel Krall (and looking forward to seeing all the wonderful new illustration work he’s producing!). While this is sad and we will continue to wonder of the awesomeness of Robin Hood, there is a ray of sunshine on the horizon! And that ray taking his place is Lucy Knisley, a very inspiring comic artist.

Who are you and what do you do?

I’m a comic artist and author of “French Milk,” “Pretty Little Book,” “Radiator Days,” and the webcomic, “Stop Paying Attention.” I’m 25, and I live in Chicago.

Why did you pick the story you chose?

I read this book for the first time in sixth grade, and got so engrossed in the story that upon finishing the book, I wrote my own sequel. I’m fascinated by the strange dystopian world that Jonas inhabits, and the rules of “Sameness,” which have eradicated all emotion and color. Lois Lowry writes this colorless world through the eyes of someone who is just learning what colors (and sailboats and snow) mean, and that discovery of visual cues makes for a story that I can completely “see,” and therefore want to draw.

Lucy is a very talented cartoonist and artmaker so we’re all really thrilled to have her on board as a Picture Book Report contributor. Her first piece for the project will be shared April 22, so please do keep your eyes peeled (and of course, keep coming back for all the other wonderful illustrations!). In the meantime, why not check out her portfolio, and her comics especially?

Entry filed under: The Giver. Tags: .

The Coast Was Clear Continuing the Journey

• 1. eva  |  March 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

wow – i remember liking lois lowry’s anastasia books when i was a kid, but i’ve never heard of the giver. it looks really interesting! welcome, lucy!

• 2. KellyP  |  March 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Yay! One of my favorite comics artists and one of my top YA picks. Awesome.

• 3. Melissa  |  April 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm

For a moment I thought there was a picture book of the Giver in the works, illustrated by you. I am sad that this does not appear to be the case. I loved that book when I was younger, and haven’t been able to find a copy in recent years.

• 4. Tamara  |  September 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Your actually now my new favorite person ever!
    I read this book as well for the first time in grade 6.

I think I am getting stirrings for you ;) lol

• 5. nikki  |  September 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

yo yo….. i have something on my chest and i wont to get it off……… ok here it goes…… if you like my body and you think im sexy IM GOING TO TALK MY CLOSE OFF………… lolz jkjk

• 6. Robin  |  October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Most definitely one of my favorite books from grade school!

Have you read the Messenger and Gathering Blue? They’re the second and third book and kind of tie the three books into a neat little package.

Love your art!

• 7. Sarah  |  December 1, 2010 at 7:44 am

I love your pictures! I am currently teaching The Giver to my freshman and your images are a great additional resource I can share with them to help them visualize the story. WONDERFUL!!

• 8. evilsidetrece  |  October 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

fuck that bitch she so loose they started calling her lucy.

• 9. KATRINA  |  April 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

you are so meann

• 10. Taylor  |  November 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I will use some of these pictures for the graphic novel i have to do in my language arts class.

• 11. Taylor  |  November 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

u r a bitch

• 12. zohaa  |  January 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

WHAT UR PROBLEM?!

• 13. zohaa  |  January 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

what did she do to you?

• 14. zohaa  |  January 22, 2012 at 10:15 am

love the drawings, they really put a perseptive of the scene in my head! :) thanks

• 15. KATRINA  |  April 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

hy what do you like about it tell me and i will tell you

• 16. KATRINA  |  April 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

I LIKE THE GIVER BOOK

• 17. Hooriya  |  June 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm

lol great book accept the sexual scene kind of awkward lol

• 18. ADIPEX  |  June 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with useful information to work on. You’ve performed an impressive task and
    our whole group will probably be grateful to you.

• 19. Daniel Lapada  |  January 20, 2014 at 6:13 pm

ATTENTION!: Spoiling the story is strictly prohibited as it may destroy the flow of the story. We’re really sorry if you’re interested in the story.

Asher be like: I’m sorry for me spilling the story.
    Others be like: SPOILING Asher! You meant spoiling.
    Asher: I’m sorry for me spoiling the story.

We accept your apology…