Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.

April 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm 7 comments

Posted by: Meg Hunt
Book: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Trying something a little different in this post, for a couple of reasons: 1) I’ve been having a really busy time working on some very complicated projects and wanted to step back and explore some of the smaller scenes, 2) there are just too many scenes I want to illustrate in this book (aka, all of them!) and kind of wanted to pay tribute to how often older books had a series of full color plates and then more limited palette or b/w illustrations.

It is also with a sad note that I must announce that we’re losing S.britt as one of our contributors– I know his work has been admired by many and it is very saddening to me that we won’t get to see his lovely pieces every month. I’m on the search for a new contributor though; in the meantime I will be posting on Mister Britt’s day with a full-color illustration of the caucus race, so please enjoy these little spots in the meantime.

(these both get bigger if you click them!)

‘O Mouse, do you know the way out of this pool? I am very tired of swimming about here, O Mouse!’

At last the Dodo said, ‘everybody has won, and all must have prizes.’

‘But who is to give the prizes?’ quite a chorus of voices asked.

‘Why, she, of course,’ said the Dodo, pointing to Alice with one finger; and the whole party at once crowded round her, calling out in a confused way, ‘Prizes! Prizes!’

Alice had no idea what to do, and in despair she put her hand in her pocket, and pulled out a box of comfits, (luckily the salt water had not got into it), and handed them round as prizes. There was exactly one a-piece all round.

Please check back tomorrow for Will Bryant’s next tour into Neverland!

Entry filed under: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Tags: .

Continuing the Journey Peter Pan: Never Going to Grow Up!

• 1. Jordie  |  April 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I love both of these! The limited color palette is really quite classy.

• 2. S.britt  |  April 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I agree! Both of these spots are absolutely wonderful, Meg. I really love ‘em!

• 3. sbosma  |  April 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Yeah! Awesome! I really like the limited color.

I think I like the second one better, since the characters in the first drop into the background a LITTLE (little) bit too much for me. Man, though, I love that crab.

• 4. tracybishopdesign  |  April 13, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Oh Meg, these are so beautiful!
    I think the limited palette just adds to the mood so much.

• 5. Robbi Behr  |  April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I’d happily take S. Britt’s place (though won’t fill his shoes) – this project is awesome and I look forward to seeing what people do with it. Alice is a favorite, too.

• 6. andreakalfas  |  April 22, 2010 at 3:41 pm

love love love these! i think they’re my favorite of your Alice pieces so far actually

• 7. clive hicks-jenkins  |  April 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Utterly charming. As though you’re the love child of the sublime Mary Blair and that great master, Charley Harper. (And I sincerely hope you take that as a compliment because it’s meant as one!)