The Hobbit, part four

May 13, 2010 at 7:54 pm 7 comments

Posted by: Sam Bosma

Book: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

“Suddenly a sword flashed in its own light. Bilbo saw it go right through the Great Goblin as he stood dumbfounded in the middle of his rage. He fell dead, and the goblin soldiers fled before the sword shrieking into the darkness.”

Chapter 4: Over Hill and Under Hill

Click to enlarge.

At this point in the story, Bilbo and the dwarves are crossing a mountain ridge when they are are kidnapped by a hoard of goblins and taken into a cavern below. The Great Goblin recognizes the Elvish weapon Thorin carries as one that had slain dozens of goblins and goes mad with fury, leaping up and preparing to devour the dwarf. The great bonfire goes out in a pillar of blue smoke as Gandalf appears and kills the Great Goblin and many of his soldiers and the prisoners beat a hasty retreat.

I’ve written fairly extensively on my blog on the creation of the goblin design and the many different iterations I went through before landing on something I liked. There’s some further exploration on what the Great Goblin is compared to his soldiers and why he’s so big and weird. If you’re interested in that sort of thing, head on over there and take a look.

Entry filed under: The Hobbit. Tags: .

Never Never Land! The Owl

• 1. Andrea  |  May 13, 2010 at 9:13 pm

FANfuckingTASTIC! My favorite thus far!

• 2. Daniel Sroka  |  May 14, 2010 at 4:53 am

FYI the link to the blog has an error in it. It should be: http://sambosma.blogspot.com/

• 3. Laura  |  May 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

Wow, terrific! The color screams *magic* – it’s all so luminous, I almost expect it to move. Ooh, just noticed the nostril detail and the mignola-esque skulls!!

You knocked it out of the park with this one.

• 4. Chuck  |  May 14, 2010 at 8:58 am

Holy cow!
    This one is superb, you couldn’t have done it better.
    My favourite part is the little goblin on the right with the frightened look.

• 5. jeremysorese  |  May 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Holy cow.

• 6. Roland  |  May 17, 2010 at 6:14 am

This one is totally awesome. Love it. Good to see these getting better and better. I am impressed that you have made designs that feel original for such a saturated theme.

• 7. Nancy Muller  |  June 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Blowing my mind as always. I mean, wow! I’m loving every bit of this, Sam.