The Neverending Story, part 1

May 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm 11 comments

The Neverending Story starts with the theft of the book named The Neverending Story by Bastian Balthazar Bux; a fat little boy who was hiding in an antique bookstore from the bullies that chased him home every day. Finding himself fascinated by an old leatherbound book with two serpents entwined on the cover he surprises himself by putting it in his schoolbag when the store’s owner, mr. Koreander isn’t looking.
Realising he is now a thief, he decides he can never go home anymore and hides himself in his school’s giant disused attic. He puts an old musty blanket over his shoulders and starts to read the mysterious book.

Which whisks him away to the land of Fantastica, where a Will o’the Wisp named Blubb is making his way through the vast Howling Forest to the Ivory Tower of the Childlike Empress. In the woods he meets a Rock biter: a giant whose kind eat nothing but stone, a night hob and a tiny. All three have come from different regions of Fantastica with the same mission, to tell the Queen about the Nothing that is eating away at their land, and to ask for help.

Sitting in the forest they share stories of how the Nothing suddenly appeared. Where once there were lakes, trees and hills, there is now absolutely nothing. The eye can’t even see it. Scariest of all is that those who come close to these areas find themselves irrevocably drawn to the Nothing, coming closer and closer until they are swallowed by it.

Phew!
I have huge shoes to fill here, and this drawing is not what I had intended my first illustration to be. Unfortunately, the past few weeks I’ve been swamped with assignments and I wasn’t able to give this project quite the time I would have liked. So when I found out that my idea wasn’t working the way I had intended I didn’t have enough time to fix it. So here’s the drawing I made without all the terrible terrible colours I inflicted on it.
Once I’ve finished a version that I am satisfied with, I will of course unveil it forthwith.

posted by: Chuck Groenink

Entry filed under: The Never Ending Story. Tags: .

The next thing that happened was a mind-mangling explosion of noise and light. The Giver, ChapterĀ 2

• 1. Kali  |  May 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I think it’s charming Chuck! You shouldn’t feel bad at all, it’s really lovely with all the texture and variation! Looking forward to more!

• 2. Seb  |  May 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

This is your Neverending story version! and I love it!! can’t wait for the next !!!

• 3. Jane  |  May 19, 2010 at 6:14 pm

It’s absolutely beautiful!

• 4. Ribbu  |  May 19, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I happen to really like it as is. But – look forward to the next iteration, should it arrive. Nicely done -

• 5. Stefan Tijs  |  May 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Chuck, this looks truly wonderful! I know what you’re feeling, but there’s really nothing to worry about when it comes to this piece. I’m sure all you need it some time to see that yourself as well.

• 6. S.britt  |  May 20, 2010 at 12:31 am

Very lovely, Chuck! And the duotones remind me of an engraving. Be satisfied with it! Everyone else is!

• 7. Mrtnd  |  May 20, 2010 at 5:53 am

i agree with all the comments above. it’s fantastic

• 8. John Martz  |  May 20, 2010 at 6:49 am

Agreed! No need to muss this beauty up with colour. It’s great as is!

• 9. Rob Dunlavey  |  May 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

What a beautiful picture! Thank you for doing it!!

• 10. groeneinkt  |  May 21, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thanks everyone! Your comments mean a lot to me, and I am now seriously considering doing them all like this.

• 11. Jane  |  May 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Just commenting again to say how captivating this drawing is to me. Would you mind sharing a little about your process? Is this ink and watercolor? Thanks. It’s really lovely!