Tarzan’s grief

June 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm 5 comments

Posted by: Andrea Kalfas

Book: Tarzan of the Apes

Tarzan’s grief and anger were unbounded.  He roared out his hideous challenge time and again.  He beat upon his great chest with his clenched fists, and then he fell upon the body of Kala and sobbed out the pitiful sorrowing of his lonely heart.  To lose the only creature in all his world who ever had manifested love and affection for him was the greatest tragedy he had ever known.

While Tarzan is down at the beach spending time in his parent’s cabin, he hears a commotion in the direction of his tribe and rushes back to them.  Kala has been killed by Kulonga, the first man since Tarzan to set foot in the ape’s part of the jungle, who shoots her with a poisoned arrow while hunting for his tribe.  Tarzan tracks the man down and discovers his village…of cannibals!  He kills Kulonga by literally hanging him from the tree tops before the terrified faces of the villagers, while staying completely hidden, and begins a long series of haunting tricks on the village that will, eventually, come back to haunt him later.

For this one, I decided to keep it simple.  Hope you like it!

Entry filed under: Tarzan of the Apes. Tags: .

That is so amazingly amazing I think I’d like to steal it. The Neverending Story part II

• 1. S.britt  |  June 15, 2010 at 1:39 am

This is absolutely wonderful and heart-wrenching at the same time. Amazingly executed and to the point. Well done, Andrea!

• 2. sem  |  June 15, 2010 at 3:41 am

Only has arrived from Kiev has not bad had a rest. Lived in private apartment, very conveniently rent in kiev

• 3. djuna  |  June 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

so, I think Sem might be a little off target with his response, but I think its beautiful. So expressive without giving in to any of the obvious (and intrusive) expressions. I only worry about your state of mind trying to get into this one… I prefer to imagine you practicing swinging from a vine.

• 4. groeneinkt  |  June 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I love this one Andrea! Such a wonderfully affecting and stark composition. I admire how subtle but expressive it is too.

• 5. Nancy Muller  |  June 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm

This is just so lovely and sad. Tarzan’s body curling around Kala’s solid and heavy form, the dreary colors and weighty textures, it altogether perfectly expresses his sorrow, and I feel for him. Very touching, Andrea.