The Neverending Story part II

June 16, 2010 at 6:55 am 12 comments

After their meeting in the forest the will o’ the wisp, the rock biter and the other creatures resume their journey to the Ivory tower. Where they find countless other beings from every corner of Fantastica. Everywhere the Nothing is consuming the land, and ominously the childlike empress herself has fallen ill.

She has chosen a champion to find a cure for herself and Fantastica, someone who will have to undertake the Great searching. She has given him her sign, a golden necklace of two snakes biting each other’s tails, called AURYN.
The hero she has chosen is the boy Atreyu.

So here we have Atreyu on his little horse Artax. He’s still at the beginning of his quest and he’s now reached the glass towers of Eribo. I wanted to show something of Fantastica before the Nothing swallows all of it. Though the little creatures in the bottom left have been displaced by it already.

As you can see I’ve decided on a slightly different style after the somewhat improvised drawing last month. The colours I’ve chosen are the colours the book is printed in: red and blue.
So I’ve changed the first one accordingly, I hope you still like it.

Entry filed under: The Never Ending Story. Tags: .

Tarzan’s grief Pool Party

• 1. Laura  |  June 16, 2010 at 8:26 am

lovely!

• 2. eric orchard  |  June 16, 2010 at 9:24 am

Beautiful!

• 3. emcguire  |  June 16, 2010 at 11:42 am

I love it, such a subtle composition :)

• 4. Rob Dunlavey  |  June 16, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I love it. It glows.

• 5. mike  |  June 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Seriously good stuff, I get excited every time I see an update for you.

• 6. Mike  |  June 17, 2010 at 7:07 am

This illustration is wonderful. Great work!

• 7. Claudette  |  June 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

Chuck you are seriously, seriously talented.
    It is absolutely amazing. Love it, love it, love it.!

• 8. S.britt  |  June 17, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Truly wonderful work, Chuck. I am impressed!

• 9. Chuck Groenink  |  June 18, 2010 at 1:40 am

Thanks all!

• 10. Pragmatic Mom  |  June 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Gorgeous drawing! Love it!

Pragmatic Mom

I blog on children’s lit, parenting and education.

• 11. Christina Weese  |  June 21, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Love love love this, beautiful pony!

• 12. Nancy Muller  |  June 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I am so completely and totally thrilled that you have chosen this book. It’s one of my favorites, and so full to the brim with amazing potential for illustrations. I am excited to see how you’ll illustrate scenes from that later parts of the book, the parts not included in the movie adaptations.
    I love what you’ve done thus far. You’ve set the mood wonderfully for such a mysterious and perilous adventure.