The blue tick hound was like the Pritchards, mean and ugly.

June 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm 7 comments

Posted by: Israel Sanchez

Book: Where The Red Fern Grows

“I knew the killing of the ghost coon was out of my control, but I just didn’t want to see him die.  I said to Rubin, “Just give me back my two dollars and I’ll go home.  I can’t keep you from killing him, but I don’t have to stay and see it.”

Old Dan and Little Ann’s reputation as some of the best hunting dogs in the Ozarks brings the Pritchard brothers to grandpa’s store with the offer of a wager.  The brothers know of an old coon that no hunter in the mountains has ever been able to catch.  Every time a hunter thinks he has the coon treed, the animal disappears into the night.  Billy agrees to a bet with the Pritchards that his dogs can catch the ghost coon.

After a long chase, Billy figures out the animal’s trick and his dogs soon have the animal cornered.  Just before he lets Dan and Ann loose on the animal, Billy change his mind and decides to let it live, the long night of hunting has given Billy a new respect for the coon.  The Pritchard’s are angered by Billy’s decision and when their own hound dog joins them, a fight between the whole group starts.

Entry filed under: Where the Red Fern Grows. Tags: .

The Giver- Chapter 3 APOLOGIES!!!

• 1. groeneinkt  |  June 22, 2010 at 2:43 am

Oh man Israel, each of your illustrations is better than the last. I love the little bit of light illuminating the characters at the top.
    And all those little branches in the snow, it’s absolutely superb.

• 2. israels  |  June 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Chuck!!!

• 3. Pragmatic Mom  |  June 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm

This is really evokes the mood. You are really talented AND prolific!

How long did this take to complete?

Pragmatic Mom
    Type A Parenting for the Modern World

I blog on children’s lit, education and parenting

• 4. S.britt  |  June 24, 2010 at 2:26 am

Glory be! This is one truly marvelous scene, Israel! I wholeheartedly agree with what Chuck said, except DOUBLE IT!

• 5. rubbish removal  |  October 18, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Hi there Iaam so delighted I found yokur web site,
    I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Bing for
    something else, Anyways I amm here nnow and woulld just like to
    say cheers for a fantastic post and a all rond interesting blog
    (I also love thee theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and
    also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

• 6. plain  |  October 18, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Insert the dip tube from you airless paint sprayer into your paint and
    turn the knob on the paint sprayer to recirculate and allow the pump to run for a few minutes in
    order to prime the paint sprayer and force any trapped air
    out of it. spray and it’s important to do diligent research before choosing a
    brand OR a provider. Since the container that is used for painting is small, you will need to refill
    it pretty regularly.