One side will make you grow taller…

July 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm 6 comments

Welcome to month six of the Report! Okay, today’s Alice post is a little different. Because of a freelance job that fell into my lap over the weekend, I was only able to complete one of the two illustrations I had planned today (working in the limited palette I’d used earlier in the project). I’m in the middle of drawing the second one (which is the bigger scene, introducing the Caterpillar), but it may not be ready til tomorrow or Wednesday. Still, it’ll be here soon, and below you’ll find an in progress photo of the inking….

Posted by: Meg Hunt
Book: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

(click to see big)

In a minute or two the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth and yawned once or twice, and shook itself. Then it got down off the mushroom, and crawled away in the grass, merely remarking as it went, `One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter.’

`One side of what? The other side of what?’ thought Alice to herself.

`Of the mushroom,’ said the Caterpillar, just as if she had asked it aloud; and in another moment it was out of sight.

Alice remained looking thoughtfully at the mushroom for a minute, trying to make out which were the two sides of it; and as it was perfectly round, she found this a very difficult question. However, at last she stretched her arms round it as far as they would go, and broke off a bit of the edge with each hand.

There’s something really fun in bouncing back between loud and quiet scenes and lush and pulled back colors. No matter what though, I find that Alice continually enchants me every time I draw her. Even though she’s not my character technically, she is this funny little creature who keeps pulling me into Wonderland, even the quiet moments like this one. You know she’s going to grow and shrink and do all these crazy things, so it seemed good to pull back and show her mulling over the choice– which side? In drawing this scene, I found myself really loving the drawing itself– I’m thinking about adapting it into a one or two color letterpress print.

In other news, due to schedule issues and wanting to expand the blog a bit, I’m happy to say that we’re going to start having a new feature on Picture Book Report– reader illustrations. There are a lot of talented people out there who love books like we do, and after seeking a few people on Twitter the other day, I got more than 65 responses! So, be on the lookout– when I get illustrations of favorite scenes in, we’ll be sharing them from time to time, especially on those weeks where we don’t have anything planned.

Tomorrow will be a new post from Mister Will Bryant, and hopefully I’ll have my other scene up later this week too! Here’s a teaser in the meantime:

Entry filed under: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Tags: .

A Wrinkle In Time Chp. 5; The Tesseract Pogo “Bangarang”

• 1. sbosma  |  July 12, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Oh, LOVELY inks. That big flower on the right is mesmerizing.

• 2. Oscar  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Mm, the underside of that mushroom looks really touchable.

I have to say, you’ve got the perfect style for this particular story – Both deceptively childlike at the first glance, and at the same time really, really complex and rich with detail.

• 3. Andrea  |  July 16, 2010 at 11:05 pm

dang, girl. you really rock with limited color. beautiful!

• 4. grow taller kids fast  |  November 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I’m very happy to uncover this website. I wanted to thank
    you for ones time due to this wonderful read!!

I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I
    have you book marked to look at new things on your website.

• 5. how to boil raw peanuts  |  April 26, 2014 at 4:48 am

I have learn some just right stuff here. Definitely
    price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you set to make this type of excellpent informative site.

• 6. умные очки google glass  |  August 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Очки дополненной реальности Gooogle
    Glass – гарнитура для мобильных гаджетов или
    нательный персональный компьютер, что по сути
    ближе к функциональным параметрам устройства, на
    основе мобильной операционной
    системе Андроид, производимая ИТ-корпорацией Google Inc..

В гаджете используется проекционный экран,
    «эквивалент 25-дюймового дисплея с расстояния 2,4 метра», который
    крепится на голову (англ.
    HMD -head-mounted display) и находится чуть выше правого глаза, и камера, способная записывать видео высокого качества.