The Neverending Story, part III

July 21, 2010 at 1:40 pm 6 comments

When we last saw him Atreyu had just set out on his quest to find a cure for the Childlike Empress. Since visiting the glass towers of Eribo he has ridden through many wondrous parts of Fantasia, he has encountered the Nothing itself in the Howling forest. In his dreams a great buffalo told him to seek out the Ancient Morla, a giant turtle and perhaps the oldest creature in their world.
Morla lives in the swamps of despair however and Atreyu loses his dear little horse Artax, when the poor creature becomes to sad to go on and lets herself sink into the mud of the swamp.

Though he manages to find the aged turtle, Morla scoffs him and tells him the end of the world doesn’t matter to her. She’s so old, she doesn’t care about anything befalling Fantasia, she’s outlived everything so far. But if he does insist on an answer, perhaps Atreyu should seek out the Southern Oracle.

The Southern Oracle however lives on the other side of Fantasia, and Atreyu continues his journey, though much sadder, slower and wearier. Still he does encounter Falcor a luck dragon and it is the nature of those creatures to bestow good fortune on their friends and companions. So Atreyu does make it to the Southern Oracle, where he is received into the care of two gnomes who can tell him all about the three gates that anyone who wishes to visit Uyulala, the oracle, must pass.

So that is where we find him now, standing before the two sfinxes who guard the first gate.

A slightly different picture this month, as I realised too late that the drawing I had made for the scene I wanted to illustrate, was lovely, spiffy and all that, but that I had no way to finish it on time, seeing as how I have no scanner this week. The unfortunate consequence of house and dog sitting for my mum, while she’s in France. So while I do get the advantages of a week in a nice house to myself, said nice house does not have any device for putting drawings on the internet.

That’s why I decided to go back to the style of the very first thing I made for Picturebook Report, the title page. You see in the actual book, every chapter has a wonderfully illustrated title page with the first letter of that chapter in beautiful calligraphy. This is then my version of those ‘official’ illustrations.
So here you are:

Chapter   : The Three Gates
Falcor was still sleeping when….

Entry filed under: The Never Ending Story. Tags: .

His Own Kind “The Giver,” Chapters 4 and 5

• 1. andreakalfas  |  July 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm

woooww. beautiful! That dragon looks like he would make a lovely drop cap.

• 2. Nancy Muller  |  July 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I saw this and instantly sounded out an audible exclamation of delight. This is beautiful and brings me endless joy. I want it.

• 3. Luisa Uribe  |  July 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Amazing, the subdued colors are perfect.

• 4. eva  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

it would be fabulous to see your original idea for this illustration if you ever get around to finishing it. but this is lovely as well! the dragon, the starscape, little atreyu – all wonderful.

• 5. amalia k  |  July 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

WOW!! Talk about a blast from the past! I remember falling in love with Neverending Story as a child, and funnily, It’s still stuck in my head until this very day… Great work! :))

• 6. Pragmatic Mom  |  July 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

OMG! That is so gorgeous. It reminds me of crazy, expensive mosiac tile … that you’d find in an ancient greek castle.

Pragmatic Mom