“The Giver,” Chapter 6

September 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm 9 comments

Book: The Giver, by Lois Lowry

Illustrated by: Lucy Knisley

This sixth chapter begins the two-day ceremony; an annual ritual that advances every age group within the community by presenting them with items that signify age status. Jonas, being twelve, will go last and receive his “assignment” that will be his job for the rest of his life.

The book doesn’t detail every year’s ceremonial gift, but goes into the psychology of it a little bit by explaining some of the reasoning behind the objects. The back-buttoned jacket is meant to teach interdependence, as you had to rely on your classmates and family to do up the buttons. The front-buttoned jacket begins to promote independence. It’s fascinating to imagine what the unmentioned years might receive.

I remember being especially disturbed by the finality of the “assignments” when I was twelve and read this for the first time, and thinking, “Twelve-years-old is nowhere near old enough to choose a profession.”

Now when I read it, I think, “These ceremonies must be so BORING for people my age– adults without children of their own to participate in the ceremonies!”

Sorry I was late this month!

Entry filed under: The Giver. Tags: .

Short Reports: Sashiko Yuen vs. The Story Sisters Short Reports: Rich Tu vs. Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats

• 1. Kristy B.  |  September 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I’m so glad you’re doing this. It’s been years since I read The Giver, but after seeing your drawings I went back to the library to re-borrow the book. An enjoyable way to pass the time!

• 2. keyana  |  October 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

nice

• 3. Catherine F. V. King  |  August 28, 2012 at 12:40 am

I only just discovered this series and I am wowed. Truly wowed.

And having recently read ‘The Hunger Games,’ the sight of that little envelope gave me a shudder. It reminded me of the slips of paper used in each year’s Reaping — again, an arbitrary note (or it seems arbitrary in the Community) that completely decides a person’s fate. Brrr!

• 4. Liz  |  April 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I love this chart. In a reading project I used this on my board and everyone(including my teacher) loved it.

• 5. damian  |  November 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm

this helped me so much! (school project on the giver)

• 6. Bryan Santos  |  February 10, 2015 at 10:43 am

This picture of the Community Ceremony is really helping me out alot.I had this for a project assignment and i got a good grade.

• 7. Kattia Bravo  |  February 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm

OMG this was awesome I loved the book……
    THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME I LOVE IT

• 8. heiddy  |  February 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm

lol

• 9. lily  |  February 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm

why does jonas has to bathe the old WOMAN thats just wierd cause he is a boy and fiona has to bathe a man