Championship Coon Hunt To Be Held

September 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm 5 comments

Posted by: Israel Sanchez

Book: Where The Red Fern Grows

A few days after Billy’s visit to Rubin’s grave he is called to his grandpa’s store.  Grandpa surprises Billy by asking him if he wants to enter a local coon hunting contest, all the best hunters in the area will be there and the winner will receive a gold cup.  Billy blurts out, “It’s all right with me, just tell me what to do.”

Billy and his grandpa get the idea to invite Billy’s dad along, but with all the work that needs to be done on the farm his dad doesn’t think he’ll be able to go.  He also doesn’t want to leave Billy’s mom and his sisters alone.  That’s when Billy’s mom steps in and scolds her husband for making excuses.

“Why, all the work is practically done. I don’t know of one thing you couldn’t put off for a few days. Why don’t you go? You haven’t been anywhere since I don’t know when.”

On another note, I noticed that Billy’s look changes in every illustration, I never really did proper design sketches of him so I redraw him every time I come up with a new image.  I hope it doesn’t bother you all too much.

Entry filed under: Where the Red Fern Grows. Tags: .

“The Giver,” Chapter 7 Holes

• 1. Sbosma  |  September 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm

We’re all so spoiled by your terrific paintings, Israel! I love how you treated the view outside through the window.

• 2. israels  |  October 4, 2010 at 5:00 am

Thank you sir!!

• 3. Renato  |  February 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

Maybe your eye-rolling rioctean is because you know from experience that simplistic ideas about faith don’t account for all of life’s events.

• 4. pafvsbdfli  |  February 5, 2012 at 7:24 am

BmAESq rxyksqmfnmrb

• 5. andreakalfas  |  November 5, 2010 at 6:36 am

Those adorable kids! Cat with blue stripes! I love it! I didn’t even notice that Billy has been changing with each piece. I think its because you put so much personality into each piece that it’s just “you” every time. Also I think you could make Billy bald and lose his left leg next time and I’d still love it.