‘Rather a handsome pig, I think.’

October 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm 5 comments

Posted by: Meg Hunt
Book: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

[Hopping around a bit here-- the next scene I intended to share was with the Pigeon, but due to some computer woes and my move this week, I went a little out of order and am sharing a little scene this time. Next month we ought to be all sorted out with a hopeful bonanza of illustrations, so thanks for bearing with me!]

Alice was just beginning to think to herself, `Now, what am I to do with this creature when I get it home?’ when it grunted again, so violently, that she looked down into its face in some alarm. This time there could be no mistake about it: it was neither more nor less than a pig, and she felt that it would be quite absurd for her to carry it further.

So she set the little creature down, and felt quite relieved to see it trot away quietly into the wood. `If it had grown up,’ she said to herself, `it would have made a dreadfully ugly child: but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.’

The trouble with Alice is that there are just so many scenes I would like to illustrate; I could draw her all day! This scene with the Duchess’ baby was not one of my original line-up, but I just couldn’t resist. Alice encounters the home of the Duchess, populated by frog and fish footmen, an especially violent cook who uses far too much pepper, and a certain Cheshire Cat who will show up again soon.  She winds up taking the baby out of the peppery household to do it some good and hopefully stop its snorting, only to start noticing it has become awfully porcine in the process!
Such is the strangeness of Wonderland; but of course there are still disappearing cats, flamingo croquet and mad parties to encounter. How far-fetched could  a shape-changing infant be in this situation?

Entry filed under: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Tags: .

Short Reports: Owen Freeman vs. Mary Poppins The Hobbit, part six

• 1. lesley barnes  |  October 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm

lovely pig! I used to put a bonnet on my guinea-pig…..I was eight….I wouldn’t do it now….

• 2. laura Park  |  October 12, 2010 at 2:35 pm

this is one of yr best Meg! Love it!!

• 3. S.britt  |  October 15, 2010 at 3:56 am

Ditto to what Laura said. That pig’s just cute enough to eat!

• 4. Generatuer De Riot Points  |  November 24, 2013 at 11:42 pm

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new
    scheme in our community. Your website offered us
    with useful information to work on. You have performed a
    formidable job and our entire neighborhood might be thankful to you.

• 5. Http://Www.Triminexgarciniacambogia.Blogspot.Com  |  March 27, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Society has conditioned men to think that only women take supplements.
    If youu want to lose weight then right off the bat you
    should know that you are going to have too have a lot
    of patience and determination. These people try to find out many different ways to
    lose their body’s weight and get easily motivated by
    different weight loss methods which offer attractive weight loss.