The Giver, Chapters 9 and 10

December 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm 30 comments

Book: The Giver, By Lois Lowry

Posted by: Lucy Knisley

Chapter 9:

Jonas has received his assignment as the new “Receiver of Memory” within the community. This singular and mysterious assignment sets Jonas apart from the rest of the community, which he feels as soon as he sets food outside. His closest friend, Asher, behaves uncomfortably around him, and even his parents and sister aren’t quite sure how to treat him.

Chapter 10:

Jonas arrives for his first session at his new assignment. He is directed to a room full of unfamiliar books and rich furnishings. He meets “The Giver,” an older man who explains that he will be transmitting human memories to Jonas. This is his role in the community, to bear these strange memories for the community that has long since eradicated emotion, feeling and individuality. And Jonas is to be the next to shoulder this burden.

(I always thought The Giver’s room sounded really cozy!)

Entry filed under: The Giver. Tags: .

“Sorry, Ma’am” We’re all mad here!

• 1. Ted  |  December 12, 2010 at 6:51 am

I would pay enormous sums of money to see you illustrate an entire graphic-novel adaptation of this book. I’ve been rereading it recently, and your illustrations are dead on. (Although I always pictured the Giver as having an enormous beard, like an ancient Rabbi, since that’s the picture that was on the cover of my edition.)

• 2. Lucy knisley  |  December 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

That book cover with the beard! It is so weird to me. I’ve thought about this a lot! Prepare yourself for a flood of overthinking about hr giver’s beard: 1. the community thrives on order and sameness– male facial hair would certainly be noted as odd and irregular. 2. Each community member is chemically castrated, basically, which would make I so that testosterone would not enable men to grow beards! 3. Jonas notes that the giver seems very old because of his wrinkles, which are hard to see with a beard. The giver replies that he’s not actually that old, but that the job has aged him, which makes me think he’s only like 50, and not old enough for a crazy hermit beard. 4. I’m pretty sure the community releases peeps that get old enough for beards like that, even if they’d allow such a breach of sameness.

I don’t understand that cover– it weirds me out– always has. It’s hard for visually compelled people(such as you and me) to see the giver as anything but how he’s portrayed on the cover, but I always thought Lois Lowry was extra spacing in describing the look of her characters and town as unspecifically as possible, so we would fill the blanks, and the chaotic beardy hermit on the cover kinda belies that spirit, ya know?

• 3. Ted  |  December 12, 2010 at 8:04 am

That is an impressive amount of overthinking, but your logic is totally sound. I first read this book way back in grade school–when I was too young to really appreciate it fully–and at that point, of course, you expect the stuff on the cover to be accurate depictions of events or characters on the inside. Now I like the connection of the rabbi, symbolic transmitter of wisdom and connection to one’s ancestors, and the Giver, literal transmitter of wisdom and connection to one’s ancestors.

(And yeah, I guess he could also be a “chaotic beardy hermit”, but he always looked more like a rabbi to me. And I’m not even Jewish!)

In fact, your version of the Giver–and this is not a slight on you or your art at all, just my interpretations and presumptions being projected onto the image–looks to me more like your classic psychiatrist, sitting back in his voluminous chair with a dense, unreadable look on his face as the nervous young person comes forward into this shrine of reason. It’s funny how a few specific signs–the shape of the chair, his posture, the books on the wall–work as a kind of visual shorthand to define this character as “psychiatrist” in my mind. I blame the New Yorker, personally.

• 4. Reena  |  March 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I disagree. The Giver did not take the Pill – Jonas himself had to stop taking them to become the Receiver, so I don’t believe The Giver was chemically castrated, either (Giver is, Receiver isn’t? Doesn’t make sense.) He was also exempt from many of the town’s rules, basically allowed free reign, so for anyone to question his facial hair would have been categorized as rude. Crazy hermit beards defy age beyond puberty. My guess is, he was the only man in town.
        Also, he wasn’t released due to age because the training of Rosemary failed, and they needed him to stick around and shoulder the burden. No one else came along until Jonas was old enough to be Assigned.

• 5. Reena  |  March 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm

*the only man in town to have any facial hair.
        I should probably remember to finish my sentences.
        Anyhoo, looking forward to more from this project!

• 6. Visar  |  February 8, 2012 at 5:57 am

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a bleggor, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies with others, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

• 7. dxjwszdhqis  |  February 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

uKKpUp uzmzbuujboem

• 8. John  |  October 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm

In Lowry’s Newberry Award acceptance speech, she mentions that Carl Nelson was the man whose face was on the cover of the book. Apparently he was a great artist who had a great eye for color (this is where “the capacity to see beyond” came from) but became blind later in life. He died in 1989.

• 9. xxhoneycomb  |  May 2, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I feel that this picture is amazing, however I feel that The Giver should have a beard. He is the only one in the community (Except soon to be Jonas) who has memories, and is “Normal.” It would make sense to me.

• 10. savanah  |  May 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

i bet it would good as graphic-novel. :)

• 11. Marcia129  |  September 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I agree Ted and thank you Lucy

• 12. Cracker Jack  |  December 16, 2010 at 6:34 am

Sorry to be “that guy”, but typo: ceiling

• 13. Sarah McIntyre  |  December 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm

It’s great seeing these, Lucy! I got the book and read it for the first time. I’m a fan of a lot of Lowry’s other work, so I can’t believe I missed that story while I was growing up. Thanks for introducing me, and with such fab pictures!

• 14. desouzam  |  January 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm

This is my favorite dystopian fiction book. I must have read it a hundred times and I love your interpretation of the book. Its very interesting seeing how another person saw the book.

• 15. savanah  |  May 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

i love this book! <3 i read it in 7th grade this year. it was good.

• 16. 6th Grade  |  September 18, 2011 at 11:34 am

I read this book in 6th grade for a book report, and I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it, but I still love the Hunger Games more than any other books.

• 17. Dezere Barnes  |  May 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm

i know right thats my favirate book to im on catching fire

• 18. Proto  |  August 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Lol I did to

• 19. Tegan  |  April 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

The book is great… I am in eighth grade this year and read it a couple of weeks ago..now I’m doing an extra credit assignment for the giver…I hope I do well..

• 20. person  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm

i like the book but where is the rest of the chapters

• 21. Dezere Barnes  |  May 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm

this book is boring

• 22. Dezere Barnes  |  May 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm

i read this book in class and it was good and boring at the same time but this was to much for me

• 24. Marcia129  |  September 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hi–this is such an awesome site and your portrayals are perfect for my students with Autism. I have been trying to find an adapted version of this book for weeks to use with my students. Thank you for posting these. Are the other chapters anywhere to be found?
    Thank you again!!
    Awesome!!

• 25. cupcakesbyangel  |  September 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

This Website is AMAZING!

• 26. Christopher Davis  |  May 8, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I need to get an autographed copy of your book. Is there any way possible I could meet you? Kindest Regards,

Christopher Ryan Davis
    971 888 1486

• 27. Mayray Sung  |  November 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Where is the other chapters???

• 28. Cheryl Barbeau  |  September 9, 2014 at 1:54 pm

These are amazing illustrations that my students LOVED! We need the other chapters? Can I pay you for them?

• 29. Martin  |  September 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Great Book! Great Pictures! Thank You!

• 30. salopes asiatiques  |  September 23, 2014 at 1:57 am

Jе prendѕ la peine de posteг un commentaire afin de congratuler l’administrateur